Rescue 15 is a telephonic aid provided by the police to facilitate and cater emergencies. All calls are received and responded by 3 assistants through their telephones. Data recorded from callers include the caller’s name, time & date of the incident, place of incident, detail of concerned police station and nature of crime whereas the data is also forwarded to Chief Minister's Complaint Cell.
Rescue 15 is providing following services to the people:
- 24-hour emergency helpline
- Computerized verification of vehicles
- Elite emergency combat teams
- Child lost/ found center
- Anti-riot reserve
- Mobile crime scene unit
- Bomb disposal squad
- Police armed reserve
- Fire brigade
- NADRA (ID Card) verification system for investigation
Processing of Complaints
After a call is received, the team leader can guide assistants and provide suggestions and instructions.
- Information of any heinous or cognizable offence is immediately passed on to DPO by the head of rescue 15
- Team leader also passes the information to wireless control. Wireless control directs police mobile towards crime scene/point of incident
- Wireless control passes information to nearest patrolling vehicle for dispatching to the point of occurrence for prompt response
- Police mobile reaches at the crime scene within 3 to 5 minutes in urban areas and 7 to 10 minutes in rural areas
- After receiving information from wireless control that police mobile has reached to the place of incident, team leader calls the aggrieved or victim through official landline number to verify whether police mobile has reached at the said place or not
- To initiate legal proceedings against the offender, caller is advised to contact the concerned police station.
It was realistically observed that the prevailing system to supervise the patrolling duties and checking of mobile vehicles was not that effective as it should be. In spite of vigorous checking by the supervisory officers, proper encouragements and at times harsh punishments awarded to the delinquents, some police officials usually convey wrong replies of their positions during mobile patrolling to the control rooms and supervisory officers.
- Effective surveillance of the police mobile vehicles, especially during night hours
- Immediate relief to the general public
- Effective picketing
- Quick response time to the crime scene
- Prevention of crime
- Improving response time
- Calculation of the distance travelled by mobiles in a particular time
- Intelligent and effective management of fuel
- Effective patrolling
- Red handed arrest of criminals
Installation of latest computers/ internet in SDPO's office for monitoring of police mobiles patrolling. Now, the district police have installed trackers in 61 (sixty-one) police vehicles of the district to connect/ supervise them through GPS+GPRS as most of the law enforcement agencies of different countries are using the same technology. A state of art Digital Control Room has been established at Rescue 15 Centre of the district, where each and every police mobile is monitored round the clock, as every police mobile is visible on Google Earth Map. Sub-control rooms have also been established at all the 3 sub-divisional offices of SDPOs.
Besides meaningful monitoring of police mobile vehicles, following advantages are also being acquired.
Enlisted below are the advantages of the montoring of police mobile vehicles:
- Exact location of police mobiles
- Police mobile’s ignition on or off-detail
- Speed profile of police mobile
- Previous track of the police mobile
- Distance traveled by the police mobile
- The fuel consumption of each vehicle can be assessed on daily, weekly and monthly basis and officials involved in misappropriation of fuel will be sternly dealt with.
- If a mobile stays more than 30 minutes, an alert flashes on the screen of operator/monitoring officer
- Alerts will be flashed if any mobile vehicle exits from the district Jhelum. In this regard, geo-fencing of District Jhelum has been done
- History of each mobile i.e. routes travelled can be stored for 90 days
- Improve communication, performance of officials/drivers and accountability
- Landmarks have been added on Google Earth map at important places. (It shows that the mobile vehicles are checking important places like District Jail, Courts, Banks and Main Bazars etc.)
Since installation of tracking system in the police vehicles, the patrolling has become more effective which resulted in prevention and detection of crime to a large extent.